Monday, December 14, 2009

whip it up!

I mentioned in my last post that I've been very busy at the sewing machine. I wanted to share a few more of the projects that I've been doing.
Here is the Christmas tree that I made Paisley so she can decorate it and have for herself (Thank you Ruffles and Stuff!). I wanted to make it a little fancier, but my sewing skills aren't so up to snuff yet, so she got a simple triangle as the shape of her tree. She likes playing with it on the ground, but it's also meant to be hung up and it's reversible so she can put the ornaments on the other side. Each ornament has velcro on the back and sticks to the opposite side of the velcro that is stitched to the tree (don't even get me started on how this about killed my machine and myself in the process! Let's just say that I will neeeever buy sticky-backed velcro everrr again!) (And of course one of the velcro backing pieces right in the smack dab middle came off b/c I forgot to sew it on, so it's got a gaping hole where an ornament should be.... workin' on it people! I'm working on it!!) I wish I had taken better pics of the actual tree, but I was up til 1 in the morning trying to finish it and then got up super early so I could have a photoshoot with Paisley for the holidays so there was no time for the pictures. Um, and let me say no attention to the uggggly and burned floor of my kitchen! It's one of the many rooms in the house that is on the renovation list.

Pink with white polka dots side

White with pink polka dots side

Putting the ornaments on the tree

Wish my ornaments could have been fancier, but Paisley loved it and that's all that matters

I made the letter "p" for her for her name, and there are 2 ornaments with toys on them that are left-overs from some real ornaments that I'm making for our tree.
OHHH! P.S... The little pink circle at the bottom right with the ruffle...yeah that one... it's my first ruffle!! I'm so excited! (it doesn't take much ya'll! Not much at all to excite me!)

On to the next projects:
Our friends in the mountains, Jeff and Kate, just had their little girl and they were going for something a little gender neutral while she was pregnant b/c they weren't finding out the sex. So, I made these little puppies for them. I'm currently working on other baby booties that ARE NOT gender neutral (you'll see what I mean when I get them finished!) So, I went with this pretty little Pooh-Bear pattern for the booties (thanks to StarDust Shoes) and little ducks for the burp cloths.

This is my first pair of baby booties. I'm super excited they turned out so well!

Here is the burp cloth. I've always decorated pre-made burp cloths and never actually made one. With the help of Homemade by Jill I got some great suggestions and patterns for these. She had such a great idea to put a seam horizontally down the middle so that they fold easier and let me tell you.. this woman is a genius! It's so aggravating not being able to fold Carter's burp clothes and they take up so much roooooooom! This solves it!

This did take forever to make with having to snip all the way around the sides and wash it 4 times for the perfect frayed edge. It is reversible and is made from a very soft flannel material and I went with all natural batting on the inside for my earth-friendly friends :)
Front and back